Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chapter 9 - Tapping Emotion

When I was reading through Chapter 9, Tapping Emotion, I remembered the time I used to teach at Kaplan College. It was my third day on the job and the director had asked me to be the presenter for the incoming students as part of their orientation. Unprepared and not very knowledgeable about the College’s history I was forced to prepared my speech in fifteen minutes. I quickly went around and asked questions about the college and picked up hours of operation and my time was up. I walked into the room and out of nowhere decided to sit with the audience while the previous presenter was still finalizing her presentation. I blended in with the audience and decided to act as one of them. I asked questions: How do you like it so far? Do you know who your instructor is going to be? What do you think about the college? Why did you decide to come to Kaplan College? The presenter was then done and realized that I was sitting within the audience. She mentioned that their instructor was sitting within the audience and asked if they could notice who he was. After no one could point me out I stood up and went in front of the room to introduce myself and started talking about the questions I had asked when I was in the audience. Burmark mentioned, “Better to laugh yourself silly than laugh yourself sick. (Burmark, 2011)” It’s more than likely that moment tapped into their minds. They will never forget the day the instructor was within the crowd. I did this several time after that and it was a success every time. I knew that students would wake up and learn something from my presentation after knowing that I was within the audience. It has become a powerful technique.

Works Cited

Burmark, L. (2011). They Snooze, You Lose: The Educator's Guide to Successful Presentations. San Francisco: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment