Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chapter 6 - Harnessing Humor

When I was reading through Chapter 6 Burmark mentions that adding humor and surprises will wake your audience and never forget the experience (Burmark, 2011). I totally agree. I remember, in high school, I had a teacher who would act out every emotion or sound effects in order to get our attention and it worked. The funny thing was that when you would run into him in the halls he was very timid and quite. Well, now I realized that being a teacher is basically been a Hollywood actor. Our job position is certainly not a teacher it’s a: doctor, counselor, Dad, Mom, sister, brother, neighbor and any other type of people that interacts with a k-12 student and we must be ready to act and change character when needed. No, teachers are not the boss. They are the boss but we are in control. Control of how we present during the time they are in our presence. Burmark mentions that smiles are free (Burmark, 2011). This reminds me of a poster we have on campus of kids of every race is smiling and it reads, “A Smile means the same thing in any country”. Another way I use humor in class is when I introduce Chapter one “What is a Computer”. I begin the class by giving the following instructions to the students, “Students, tell me what to do, and I’ll do it”. I stay silent and wait for instructions. Everyone is confused and maybe one will say, “dance, jump….”, and so on but once I explain that a computer receives instructions they laugh because they realize that they could have told me to leave the room, allow them to listen to music and so on. I agree with Burmark when he mentions that we should allow students to use their electronics because I do and it’s very effective (Burmark, 2011). Harnessing humor is very important for both the presenter and the audience.

Works Cited

Burmark, L. (2011). They Snooze, You Lose: The Educator's Guide to Successful Presentations. San Francisco: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment