Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chapter 5 - Making Connections

When I was reading through Chapter 5 Burmark mentioned a YouTube video searched as “Bad Dates” (Burmark, 2011). It reminded me of the time I was teacher Math to 7th Graders. As a first teacher, they gave me the toughest group of students. No matter what I did I could not get their attention until one day I realized that I had to make the real life connection. Using smartboard technologies, there was an interactive activity that demonstration the X and Y axis and the students had to give the coordinates in order to bomb the battleship. Instantly they understood the concept of the X and Y axis. I especially like the example used of Joshua Bell performing at a train station and people did not realize that he had previously performed and the cheapest seat cost $100.00. This reminded of the saying, “Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer”. Sometimes we need to catch the attention of the toughest students and make the difference that we teachers are set out to accomplish. Chapter 5 was about breaking barriers between your audience and you as the presenter. As a teacher, I agree since every year technology is breaking more barriers that any other topic. We must make that connection with our audience.

 Works Cited

Burmark, L. (2011). They Snooze, You Lose: The Educator's Guide to Successful Presentations. San Francisco: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment