Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chapter 4 - Ringing Chimes

When I was reading through Chapter 4 it stated that a comedian joked about going through his program degree in five minutes. His gave the example of learning Spanish “Como esta usted”? (How are you?) And so on, since Father Sarducci is the only thing he says (Burmark, 2011). This made me laugh since I’ve just experienced this incident in class. Students continued to misunderstand the concept of the binary system. Then couldn’t make my presentation stick that “10 (binary) = 2 (decimal)”. They could see it and work it out, but they could not understand it. Out of the blue I wrote on the smartboard “House = Casa”, so what does that mean? By miracle of God almost every student answered, “Oh! It’s the same thing just in different language”. I wanted to faint. I’ve been struggling for three years with this concept and I thought I had tried everything. Two simple words made the difference, WOW. I’ve been using PowerPoint with my students for three years but this is the second year that I’ve converted to Prezi. I can still do the images, emotions and sound but to the power of two. It adapts well with our 21st century digital learners.

Works Cited

Burmark, L. (2011). They Snooze, You Lose: The Educator's Guide to Successful Presentations. San Francisco: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated.


No comments:

Post a Comment