Monday, February 6, 2012

Chapter 2 - Creating Slides and Handouts

Presentations are going to be part of our careers not matter what field you decide to study. Even though I created many presentations in my college years I never really understood importance of organization in a PowerPoint until I became a teacher myself. That’s when I understood that color, text, pictures, and style was important to the audience. I agree with Burmark when he mentions that most of our text should be in the notes sections and the PowerPoint should be an image with possibly a title, phrase, question or quote. I totally agree that handing out PowerPoint handouts is a waste of paper and might as well just send the PowerPoint through email for future reference. But I ask myself then why do we do this? Administration insist that the audience receive a copy of the presentation instead of the audience be provided the link of the resource so that they have 24/7 access to the document. An agenda of the presentation is better off as mentioned by Burmark. I used to create an imaginary image and give real life examples during my presentation of “What is a Computer?”. I still do but now with real images and interactive examples ( http://avconline.avc.edu/ebeyer/interactions/BuildCPU.dcr ). As TST (Technical Support Teacher) I’m responsible for training teachers so I can relate with Burmark that a two sided handout is much more productive than twenty six handout of the PowerPoint. Teachers have made comments like, “Why didn’t you just send us the PowerPoint presentation through email, instead of making us stay for this meeting?” My PowerPoint will now include more images and less text with a two sided handout page in which my audience will follow throughout the presentation. Teachers can still have access to the PowerPoint but it will be pointless since the images will not make sense without them have had attended my training.

Burmark, L. (2011). they Snooze you Lose. In L. Burmark, they Snooze you Losw (pp. 4-23). Wiley, John & Sons,
     Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment